Paleo Pumpkin granola
I never loved chips, nor candies or any type of lollies; all I loved was cereal; a sweet crunchy combination of oats, nuts, maple syrup and all of the other additives that granola contains.
Now with the paleo diet, I had to forget about all of that. It wasn’t very hard at the beginnig. I was feeling strong-minded and I thought that I could bare a new diet without granola. I failed. My carvings were too strong to deal with them so I had to find a paleo alternative of it. So I found this amazing recipe, which originally contained maple syrup and dates, but I’m not allowing myself to eat maple syrup and I thought that the dates would make it too sweet, so I changed a little the recipe and ended up having an awesome product. Is actually not sweet at all, so If you try it, I’d recommend you to (when eating it with milk) dissolve some honey on your milk and then pour in the granola, that will give you the perfect sweetness!
Truth is that, to do this granola you can basically add whatever you want, as many nuts, fruits or even seeds and veggies. but here I’ll offer you my version of the recipe…
- ½ almond meal
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup unsweetened shredded coconut (or coconut flakes)
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (beaten) egg
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your pumpkin puree, the egg, and all spices. Mix well.
- Then add your nuts and seeds, mixwell with your wet ingredients.
- Place parchment paper on a large baking sheet and pour your granola mixture on top. Use a spoon to spread out the mixture evenly so everything will cook at the same time.
- Place in oven and cook for 30-40 minutes, moving the granola around half way through to be sure it doesn’t burn.
- LET COOL. Letting the granola cool will help it harden up.
- Eat all by itself or top it off with coconut or almond milk, I first dissolved a tsp of honey on my almond milk to make it sweeter.
- “Enjoy the paleo life. It’s beautiful.”